Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Festival of trees.


I have received information today about the 4th Sandwich Festival of Trees. I only asked for the information today which gives a good idea of just ow well organised the event is. The festival is actually a scalp tinglingly beautiful fund raiser, local charities groups and businesses pay for the privilege of putting up a tree in a gorgeous disused church, (well disused as a church, but used an awful lot for other great events!) these trees are decorated by the businesses, often along a theme, e.g the shoe shop hung theirs with little boots etc. The public pay to come in and get all watery eyed at the sight of so many trees against the backdrop of the church and with the addition of some festive music, they then vote on the one they like best in each category, senior and under 18's. There are prizes of £100 for senior and £50 for under 18's. But it's not about the money,or the advertising, it's about the taking part.
So shall we, take part? I propose that Makey 'do' have a tree. I propose that we make decorations for the tree at a day of crafting workshops in November, I propose that we have a date for next summers 'do' all sorted out so we can put 'save the date' cards out for people to take. I would like the tree to be a real community handmade type tree, fun and individual.
If you think you might like to be involved there are several ways that you might be a part of the Makey 'do' tree;
* You could run a workshop, paying a small fee to cover hall costs and charging the public a few pounds to make a seasonal decoration.
* You could help steward the workshop day, being on hand to help out and have fun.
* You could come along and take part in the workshops, paying a small fee to make something and either taking it home with you or lending it to us to display on the tree.
* You could provide a tree (maximum 6ft!)
* You could provide some lighting for the tree.
* You could help advertise the event.
* You could visit the festival of trees and support the event. You might even like to vote for the Makey 'do' tree!
Perhaps there are other ways you might like to get involved, let me know, register your interest here, or mail me direct. I think this will be a really lovely way to keep the Makey 'do' -I don't want to say alive but I guess that's what I mean- through the winter months all ready for next year!!

8 comments:

  1. boy do you like to be kept busy! slow down woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are still too far away, could we arrange the transplantation of Kent somewhere nearer to me? Maybe not but I'd love to send you something to hang upon your tree, I think it's an amazing idea.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to help with decorations etc... let me know what dates in November you had in mind. Off down to Bristol for first weekend for Misi event but free rest of November (I think) - although if I do come down this time I'll probably stay at a B&B - too long a drive after a day of fun!!! Will try and get Gillian to come too if she's free.
    Speak soon.
    K x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to help with decorations etc... let me know what dates in November you had in mind. Off down to Bristol for first weekend for Misi event but free rest of November (I think) - although if I do come down this time I'll probably stay at a B&B - too long a drive after a day of fun!!! Will try and get Gillian to come too if she's free.
    Speak soon.
    K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can those of us in the States help in any way??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in! Current plan is I'm going to be papercrafting, making teensy gift boxes from Christmas cards to hang on the tree - but who knows what I'll have thought of by November?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to come along and help out - just keep me posted re dates - and I will advertise on my blog, too. And if anyone wants to stay at my B&B I can offer a bloggy friends discount! And transport to and from the event, of course!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really lovely and I'd be up for coming down with Kali.gxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in with a Makey 'do'

Analytics